January is Carbon Monoxide Safety Awareness Month

“AlmostCarbon Monoxide Safety Awareness everyone takes gas appliances for granted. You push a button and the dryer or oven comes on. But your home’s carbon monoxide detection system degrades over time – and it can create some very eye-opening, serious safety issues,” Keith Lynn, owner of MZ Electric, said.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that January is often the worst for carbon monoxide poisoning with at least two people dying each day. This is three times the number of fatalities seen than those during the summer.

If your home’s carbon monoxide detectors are 10 years of age or older—they are expired. As anything expired, they cannot be counted on to do their jobs IF an emergency occurs in your home.

“January is Carbon Monoxide Safety Awareness Month, and we’re using it as an opportunity to educate homeowners about their carbon monoxide detection systems. Carbon monoxide safety is something so important to us.” Lynn added

There are some basic safety measures homeowners can take to ensure they’re not creating a potentially unsafe environment in their home, as it relates to their carbon monoxide detection systems. For example:

  • Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO.
  • Install CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home.
  • Make sure extension cords or outlets are not overloaded with too many appliances.
  • Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, and vents.
  • Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.

“One of our highly-trained electricians will inspect your carbon monoxide detectors and any potential trouble areas to ensure you’re safe. They’ll also  inspect some of the other visible components of your electrical system to make  sure there aren’t any other serious safety issues you should know about.”

“I want to be clear about this: Homeowners are under no obligation to repair these issues, but we feel like it’s our duty as licensed electricians who work and live in this community to at least educate people of these issues that exist in their homes. I know that I would want to know.”

For more information on carbon monoxide safety and the services we provide, contact MZ Electric today!