Signs You Should Upgrade Your Electrical Panel
At MZ Electric, we often get asked if there are signs that it is time to upgrade your electrical panel. It is true that your home may be signaling you that it is time to think about making the investment in a new panel.
- You live in an older property: While this one may be fairly obvious, it is worth stating, simply because you want to make sure your home is completely safe for your family. When most older properties were built, a 60-amp panel was sufficient. However, with today’s technology and appliances, you most likely want to upgrade to a 200-amp panel.
- Your lights are flickering and your appliances are underperforming: These are definite signs that your panel is overloading, and likely needs an upgrade. It’s also a sign that the panel isn’t as safe as it could be.
- You are considering a remodel or significant upgrade to your home: If you are thinking of upgrading your appliances in the near future, or adding an air conditioner to your home, this is also a good time to consider an upgrade. A remodel is also a good time to upgrade your panel, as you may be adding lighting that your current panel won’t support.
- You have fuses, not circuit breakers: If your home was built before the 1970s, it may have a fuse-based system rather than a circuit breaker. Though fuses perform the same function as circuit breakers, they are outdated and don’t trip when they are overloaded.
- Your breakers are frequently tripping: While breakers are designed to trip as a safety feature, if you are continuously visiting your breaker box, it’s a definite sign that your current panel isn’t supporting the amount of electricity your home needs.
If you have more questions about upgrading your panel, and if your home currently needs an upgrade, don’t hesitate to give MZ Electric a call today at 303.933.9220. We provide free estimates for panel upgrades and would be glad to discuss any questions you may have.